Rethinking Higher Education
Download (PDF 5.1mb)
Rethinking Ausralian Higher Education: A diversified system for the 21st century.
News & Opinion
Rethinking Australian higher education is a comprehensive study of the Australian higher education system undertaken by Dr John H Howard, Managing Director of Howard Partners and Visiting Professor at the University of Technology Sydney.
The book points to:
- Universities’ having to compromise their education mission by an overarching imperative to generate revenue to fund research and campus expansion
- The growing complexity of universities finance and need to manage to commercially oriented financial performance metrics
- The progressive movement of the unified system to a ‘one-size-fits-all’ culture of rules, commands, and controls
- Opportunities arising in the next phase of the higher education industry growth life cycle characterised by rationalisation, transformation, and innovation
The themes draw together in a call for a more diversified system that addresses differing market (demand) segments and sets out some challenges. A system that allows, and encourages, different institutions to play to their strengths.
As Distinguished Professor Glyn Davis AC says in the Preface, not everyone is going to agree with what’s in the book, but the overall purpose is to contribute to discussion and debate about the future of higher education in Australia.
Like all things, the story is complex. But the book attempts to sort through the underlying issues at both the institutional and system levels and propose some solutions and strategies as a way forward.
The book reflects Dr Howard’s knowledge, experience, and insights into the higher education system accumulated through:
- His innovation policy work, over 20 years, that has included numerous interactions with higher education leaders and stakeholders in business, government and the community
- Working in the system in academic and non-academic roles
- As a management consultant with a deep interest in universities as organisations – from the governance, leadership, management, financial and engagement perspectives.
His insights are backed up with research and data.
Please do not hesitate to get in touch if you would like to discuss aspects of the book with me.
A comprehensive review of Australia's higher education system was published as Rethinking Australian Higher Education by Howard Partners and UTS on 18 February 2021.
In May 2020 an extended analysis of Australia's research capacity was published as Challenges for Australian Research and Innovation by UTS as an Occasional Paper.
In 2019 Howard Partners completed the first ever comprehensive Performance Review of the Rural Innovation System for the National Primary Industries Research and Innovation Committee.